How to Find Keywords
One common mistake that businesses make is not describing their products using the same keywords that their customers use. For example, you’re promoting “portable media player.” However, your potential clients call them “MP3 player.” This is why it is vital to talk to business partners, employees, sales staff, and current and potential clients to determine what words are frequently used by online users when they are seeking for products and services like what you’re offering. Use such phrases to establish a list of SEO keywords.
A number of keywords searching tools are available. Such tools can help you select the best phrases for search engine optimisation. The Google AdWords Keyword Tool can help you determine how frequently certain keywords are searched in the U.S and internationally; and how competitive the keywords are. This tool is intended to help marketers select keywords for Google PPC ads, but it can be useful for keyword research as well. Also, you can get plenty of keyword variation which you might not have thought of.
When selecting keywords, some website managers consider the KEI or Keyword Effectiveness Index. It is a mathematical equation that shows a score based on the number of web pages which contain a certain keyword and the number of times it has been searched. The higher the score, the better are the chances for “winning” the keyword. In order to read a KEI explanation and get the formula, one should be mathematically inclined.
How to Use Keywords Effectively
Your website will be more discoverable when you use keywords effectively. However, abusing or overusing them can make search engines ignore your site. The following are some helpful insights on how to effectively add keywords to your web pages:
• Optimise each web page for one keyword as well as its synonyms. When the whole content of a web page tackles a certain subject, search engines like Google and Yahoo, are more likely to see that web page as relevant to its topic.
• Use keywords in the HTML title tag of the web page. When determining a page’s relevancy to a certain query, search engines give great value on title tags. The ideal number of characters is 65, including punctuation and spaces.
• It’s important to add to the web page’s HTML H1 and H2 headings and use keywords several times in the copy’s body.
• Make a keyword-rich link on another place on your website, to each web page that you are optimising. For instance, if you are optimising a certain page about SEO services. add a link to that web page from another page on your site and use the phrase SEO services in the link text, rather than a generic term like click here.
• Add keywords to your website’s URLs whenever possible. This is better than using generic URLs.
• Add keywords to each web page’s HTML meta description. Often, search engines show the meta description underneath each link displayed in search results. Don’t worry about HTML keyword meta tags, as Goggle does not consider them in web search ranking.
In web building, it’s important that you take note of the said tips and guideline in order to get great results from the efforts you put on search engine optimisation.